8.24.2006

recently noted quotes

the best designers in the world all squint when they look at something. they squint to see forest from the trees -- to find the right balance. squint at the world. you will see more by seeing less. -- john maeda [laws of simplicity]

in life, as in breakfast cereal, it is always best to read the instructions on the box -- lu tzu [thief of time]

We have a serious problem. Whenever I try to pitch Linux to anyone under 30, the question I get is: 'Will it work with my iPod?" -- esr

The GNU folks, in general, abhor man pages [strunk and white be damned] and create mostly space-filled and badly typeset "info" documents instead. This is a longstanding bug that can be fixed with some hard showeling and editing. -- anon

I have to admit, I was very skeptical that Apple could whip together professional-quality RAW conversion for numerous camera models in a few months. Their competitors have been honing their technology for years and reverse-engineering your way into the subtle differences in manufacturer's RAW formats is not a matter of ticking the "unsuck" radio button. -- dave girard [aperture 1.1 review]

When I approached the FreeBSD booth, my first question was, "So, what's FreeBSD doing here at LinuxWorld?" Without losing a beat, the FreeBSD guy responded, "Actually, in an alternate universe, I'm attending BSDWorld and there's one Linux booth. However, my transporter malfunctioned 'cause it was running Linux, and so here I am." Best nerd one-liner I've heard at the show. -- scott granneman [linuxworld, virtually speaking]

No comments: